Saturday, December 15, 2007

Force Force Baby

alrighty, so im supposed to reflect on force. what is force? can you force someone to do something? have you ever been forced? Is all force bad?

1. what is force?

I think the only kind of force is making a decision on someone else's behalf. Doing something that will directly affect someone else without their consent or consulting with them is force. Honestly, that is the lowest of the low. worse than betrayal, worse that lieing, worse than a slap across the face.

2. can you force someone to do something?

I dont think you can force anyone to do an action against their will. However, you can compel someone to do something they wouldnt want to. For instance (on a larger scale), take the child soldiers of Africa. They aren't forced into the armies, they are compelled to do so. If they dont, they are told, they will die, their family will be killed. There will be no one left. If they do go, all they have to do is, oh, kill their mother. If they refuse that, then they will both die. In essence, they dont have to do it, but what choice do they have? It is die now for sure or join and maybe not die. There are two options, just neither are appealing.

3. have you ever been forced?

Yes of course I have been forced. I am a teenage girl, the one type of person in the world who has to make decisions, but cant be trusted to do so. On the grand scale, I am the least dependable, the least moral, the least compassionate. stereotypically, I am a shallow, flighty unsurity. Because of this stereotype, people make assumptions and decisions for me. Dont get me wrong, they might feel they are doing it out of love for me. Mostly, it is a safeguard for them. Sure, it offends me, but the world is about power and they have it all. I could kick and scream and cry, but that will just perpetuate the stereotype.

I have also been forced by peers, by equals. Forced to let go, forced to leave, forced to doubt myself. Probably the pinnacle of it happening almost two and a half years ago, but I am thinking that just opened to door to the rest of it. What they dont see is that, yes, I do know what is going on, I just dont feel like talking about it. If they see fit to force me, then i dont want to stay, hold on.

I have been forced to see good things, to do good things, to feel good things. There are those people in your life who unintentionally force you to be a better person. Their attitudes and outlooks make you see their way. If there could be a silver lining of force, I think I just found it.

4. is all force bad?

This is the stickiest part. I think all force is bad because it discredits the person being forced. When you are forced, it is the assumption, whether it be consciously or unconsciously, that you have no intelligence in the matter. however, one could argue that force can be a good thing. That through love, when you make a choice for someone else it is ok. Like when my parents forced me to be baptised, to go to Catholic school. Yes, that is force, but I was a baby, a child. How could I make that choice? I couldnt, but the choice was posed to me later, when I could.

All in all, I wish people didnt see the need to force. I wish people trusted in others, in me.

No comments: